Coming in fall 2010 new biology course for non-science majors
Fall 2010 an alternative biology course for nonscience majors will be offered by the Life Science Department.
The new course, BIO 1340, will fulfill the general biology requirement for undergraduate students and discuss the relationship between basic biological principles of human health and disease.
This will be done by applying the scientific method to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases such as cancer and obesity.
"When students are more interested in topics they tend to do better," Dr. Daniel Williams said.
The purpose of the course is to provide an alternative for students who failed BIO 1301.
Drs. David Kump and Williams, assistant professors of biology, helped establish the new course.
"We are not lowering standards but giving students topics they're more interested in," Kump said.
Kump said he believes the reason that grades were poor in BIO 1301 is associated with students' low attendance.
If a student failed BIO 1301, the new course will not replace the failing grade on the student's transcript.
Also this course does not fulfill prerequisite requirements for BIO 2311 or BIO 1331.
"Healthcare professions should not register for BIO 1340," Dr. Williams said.
"This is considered a general interest course and not a prerequisite course."
Dr. Donna Pierre, chair of life science, said "The Department of Life Sciences is excited about offering additional general education biology courses.
"It is our hope that students will be interested in the Human Biology and Disease course. We believe that interest leads to success."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thenewsargus News Articles
Recent thenewsargus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THENEWSARGUS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
RECENT THENEWSARGUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Millennials Help Boost the Popularity of ETFs
- How to Handle the Potential Pitfalls of Dating
- Smart Homes Save Time and Money
- Simple Steps to Safeguard Your Second Home
- Smart Ways to Save on Home Insurance
- Know Your Pipe Type And Catch Leaks Early
- Cancer Center Finds Smokeless Tobacco May Help You Quit
- Fighting Age-Related Muscle Loss
- A Quarter of Adults Dishonest With Dentists on How Often...
- Accidents Can Hurt More Than You Think
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Supermodel Jaslene Gonzalez to Speak at Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority 25th Anniversary Sisterhood Retreat
- LEMELSON-MIT ANNOUNCES NATIONAL COLLEGIATE STUDENT PRIZE COMPETITION WINNERS
- NEW WEBSITE FEATURES COLLEGE PROFESSORS EXCLUSIVELY AS ONLINE TUTORS
- Dickinson College and Jadu Reinvent Website and Portal with 'Single Experience Student Platform'
- UT Austin Tops All-America Student Analyst Competition 2014-15