Coming in fall 2010 new biology course for non-science majors
Fall 2010 an alternative biology course for nonscience majors will be offered by the Life Science Department.
The new course, BIO 1340, will fulfill the general biology requirement for undergraduate students and discuss the relationship between basic biological principles of human health and disease.
This will be done by applying the scientific method to the diagnosis and treatment of diseases such as cancer and obesity.
"When students are more interested in topics they tend to do better," Dr. Daniel Williams said.
The purpose of the course is to provide an alternative for students who failed BIO 1301.
Drs. David Kump and Williams, assistant professors of biology, helped establish the new course.
"We are not lowering standards but giving students topics they're more interested in," Kump said.
Kump said he believes the reason that grades were poor in BIO 1301 is associated with students' low attendance.
If a student failed BIO 1301, the new course will not replace the failing grade on the student's transcript.
Also this course does not fulfill prerequisite requirements for BIO 2311 or BIO 1331.
"Healthcare professions should not register for BIO 1340," Dr. Williams said.
"This is considered a general interest course and not a prerequisite course."
Dr. Donna Pierre, chair of life science, said "The Department of Life Sciences is excited about offering additional general education biology courses.
"It is our hope that students will be interested in the Human Biology and Disease course. We believe that interest leads to success."
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More thenewsargus News Articles
Recent thenewsargus News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THENEWSARGUS NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THENEWSARGUS NEWS
RECENT THENEWSARGUS CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Tax-Savings Tips From Licensed Experts
- Not Leo DiCaprio? How to Cut Your Energy Bills Anyway
- Television Best Bets: Streaming Programs Worth Watching
- Modern Farming: Technology Helps Keep Food on the Table
- An End to Acid Reflux?
- How to Select a Contractor: Certification Counts With...
- Modern Landfills: Safe, Smart and Green
- Medicine Safety Reminders for Cold and Flu Season
- What It Takes to Get One of the Most In-Demand Jobs
- Where Do Pests Lurk? The Rooms in Your Home That Pests...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists
- 6 ‘Friendsgiving’ tips that won’t leave you stuffed
- PARAMORE UNVEIL EXPANDED DIGITAL EDITION OF BLOCKBUSTER FOURTH ALBUM
- MELANIE MARTINEZ ANNOUNCES THIRD LEG OF “DOLLHOUSE TOUR”
- Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. Declared Winner of Voto Latino’s RepUrLetters Challenge