Old Nursing 103
601 S. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27110
News Room: 336-750-2327
The News Argus is produced by and for students of the Winston-Salem State University. It is official student newspaper of WSSU and is produced in conjunction with two journalism classes in the Department of Mass Communications; however, any full-time WSSU student is eligible to join the Argus staff.
The News Argus is published on Tuesdays during the fall and spring semesters but not published during the summer semester, holidays and University breaks.
History of The News Argus
The News Argus began as the Teachers College Informer, which commenced publication in 1938.
In 1962, the TC Informer, as it came to be known, held a contest for students to rename the newspaper to The News Argus. The Argus, a character from Greek Mythology was a 100-eyed monster, or a watchful guardian, who even in his sleep could have eyes open to keep guard.
The year 2002 marked the 40th anniversary of The News Argus. By 2003 the paper changed again with a redesign and started an online presence -- thenewsargus.com.-- using College Publisher content management system.
Fall 2006, the paper changed from being a monthly publication to twice a month.
Alexis Hall [Graphics Intern]
Irwin Clawson [Graphics Intern]
Dr. Lona Cobb
- RIP Nelson Mandela
- RIP Nelson Mandela
- WSSU Symposium to focus on HBCU humanities
- The Campus Incident Report- 11/13
- Phone app. places parking at fingertips
- WSSU transitions to online grad applications
- WSSU quarterback assault still under investigation
- Year of the Ram homecoming photo spread
- ‘Only 13%’ of students registered for RAM alert
- Student files BBB complaint against WSSU financial aid
- Defeating our vices one step at a time
- Entertaining Criticism: Carrie
- Write or Die Editor's Column: The danger in being Black
- Rams anticipate victories in CIAA, national championship
- Hip-Hop Awards Cypher Review
- Step up your academic game
- Entertaining Criticism: ‘The Wealth of My Mother’s Wisdom: The Lessons that Made My Life Rich'
- Write or Die Editor's Column: McCrory’s mistakes
- Stop trying to make ‘twerk’ happen
- Write or Die Editor's Column: This is our year
- New series combines comedy, party chaos
- Remembering Trayvon Martin
- Miss N.C. gives anti-bullying advice at Boys and Girls Club
- King’s, Queen’s royal view on homecoming
- ‘No. 1 Fan’ turns up Ram pride
- Gopalan steps in as interim dean for School of Business
- Drug-sniffing K-9 has nose for narcotics
- Top 50 Most Influential Marijuana Users’ Named by Nation’s Largest Marijuana Policy Organization
- COAS welcomes new dean
- SEASON OVER: WSSU loses 7-0 in battle of ‘Rams’
- Cross Country teams fall short in CIAA
- Lady Rams set sight on CIAA championship
- Men’s basketball looks to win first tourney game
- COACH'S GAME BALL: Rudy Johnson
- Rams' stingy defense dominates Slippery Rock, 27-20
- Rams declaw St. Aug’s Falcons 35-17
- Rams basketball making plans to go further this season
- COACH'S GAME BALL: Aquila Jones
- Rams upend Shaw in final minutes